Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Failures, Disappointments, and Challenges

I've been thinking a lot about the failures, disappointments,
and challenges that I've experienced over the course of my
life. My experiencing them has contributed to my growth as
a Christian man. Although it would be a stretch to consider
the viva result a failure, it was a disappointment and a chal-
lenge after all the time and work I've spent here in St. An-
drews. But the disappointment and the challenges have
only motivated me to grow deeper in both heart and mind.

I have heard it said that championship athletic teams be-
come better through losses; that successful business man-
agers learn from business failures; that the most gifted
writers often have seasons of their labor being rejected for
publication; and that life's most glorious times often come
out of the darkest moments. I cannot say that I interpret
the viva results as a great loss, a failure, a rejection, or a
dark night of my soul. Nor is it a disappointment that will
get me down and depressed. Rather I see it as a challenge
to use up to a year to interact more with Orlando Costas
whom I spent so much time researching. The interaction
with his theology of mission is what I sensed I needed to
do, but had not done by the time my academically allotted
time ran out. Now I do have that official time to do what I
need and want to do.

I must admit that I do feel wounded. But also I have heard
it said that woundedness yields godly character, especially
wisdom. That is what I most desire. May it be so.

As always, I covet your prayers. Blessings to you and
yours,

No comments: