Saturday, May 10, 2008

Viva Time: It's Getting Closer!

May 14th no longer seems so far away. It's only a few more
days until my oral examination, and I continue to read through
my thesis to prepare myself for the viva. I have not read
closely some parts of it for nearly two years now. I enjoy
reading what I've written and my argument seems to be
sustained until the end of the thesis. I am confident in what
I have written. By that I do not mean that I expect no neg-
ative criticism. What it does mean is that I want to hear
comments about both the good and the bad aspects of my
work. I expect that my two readers will be forthright with
me so that I can be better at doing written research like
this. It is a privilege to have two scholarly readers taking
considerable time to pay close attention to what I've writ-
ten, take my research seriously, and give me critical feed-
back. That's what I want. So I am eager to get on with it.

But it is the time after the May 14th viva that worries me.
I'm planning to move out of university housing at the end
of May and I don't have anywhere to go yet. At that point
I am no longer a student protected by the University and
I am not yet in a relationship with the Church of Scotland.
One possibility has not worked out as I had hoped. I feel
vulnerable. It is like the time is at hand when I have to
jump from a place of security. The problem is that I do not
see any place to jump to. Again I have to learn the lesson
of trusting God in all this. As usual, I covet your prayers
on my behalf regarding this concern.

All the best to you and yours,

No comments: