Sunday, June 01, 2008

The Next Step

Finally, I am certain of my next step. Next Saturday, the
seventh of June, I will leave St. Andrews and move to Holy
Island/Lindisfarne. I will be doing some short-term volun-
teer service at the Open Gate, the hospitality house of the
Community of Aidan and Hilda. The latter is a dispersed
Christian community that draws from the rich heritage of
ancient Celtic saints and seeks the renewal of the Chris-
tian Church in Britain in these days.


Ever since I first made contact with the Community in
early 2004, I personally have been renewed by five re-
treats at the Open Gate. So it is a thrill for me to serve
where I have been truly blessed and nurtured in my life
in Jesus. I have informed the small staff that I promise to
be there June and July, and I hope I can do longer. They
will have me preparing rooms for guests, cleaning toilets,
changing bed sheets, doing meal preparation, and being
available to help in any way people who stop by. I will be
working with a hostess and a couple who are the wardens.
For more information on the Open Gate and the Commun-
ity, see their website: < http://www.aidanandhilda.org/>.


Holy Island/Lindisfarne is a tidal island on the east coast
of England, just below the Scottish-English border. There
is a causeway between the island and the mainland that
is open for roughly six hours two times during every 24-
hour period. It has become a place of modern-day Chris-
tian pilgrimage because Christianity was brought by mis-
sionary monks from Iona to the island in northern Eng-
land in the sixth century. During the second half of the Sec-
ond millennium many Celtic Christian women and men
ministered from there, taking the Gospel all over Scotland,
England, and Wales. So, it really is a holy place. Further-
more, it has gained a reputation as a place to watch birds.
It truly is a great place to be.

Volunteering with the Open Gate is a great way for me to
make the best use of my time while I wait to see what will
happen with me and the Church of Scotland. . I have a signi-
ficant interview with the Church of Scotland next week. I
hope I can gain a better sense of what lies in store for me
as I continue in the process. I have no idea what the next
few months will be like or where I will be. But at least I
know what my next step is, and that means a lot to me. I
want to be active in a ministry while I wait. There is the ad-
ded benefit that I won't have to pay for housing or food be-
cause the Open Gate will provide that for me. Plus Holy Is-
land will be a great environment to work on my thesis. I am
ever more grateful that I have more time to work on it. I
have ideas pouring into my mind. It is fun!


I am enjoying how my summer is shaping up during this
transition time from university research to parish ministry.
A week ago I was anxious about my immediate future; I did
not see anything taking shape. But now I am taking my first
step. As always, I covet your prayers.


All the best, and blessings to you and yours,

No comments: