Thursday, February 07, 2013

Birthday Greetings

Today is February 7, and it's my birthday. It is the Big 6-0. I feel like I am over the hump of a
long road trip and looking back over the winding route I have been travelling. It has been fun.
Somehow being 60 doesn't sound as old as being in my late 50s. I know it doesn't make much
sense, but that's how I see it now. When I was younger I hoped that when I reached 60 I would
be well-established in ministry and family, enjoying the fruit of over several decades of sustained
labor. The more I have advanced in years, the more I have enjoyed the life journey; yet I firmly
believe the best is yet to come in my life. I am having fun. People my age or just a few years old-
er than me are preparing for retirement or already retired. I, however, see myself as if I were in
my late 30s or early 40s: that I am at a good place in life with the whole world ahead of me.

When I turned 50, I was living in Philip, SD, USA, pastoring two rural churches, one in Philip
and the other in Interior, SD. I really felt at home there and enjoyed the people living in the area.
I had applied to do postgraduate study at the University of St Andrews, but part of me hoped that
I would be staying in South Dakota. However, I was accepted for study in Scotland and I bade a
fond farewell to the people of Philip and Interior. Thus began an era in my life when Scotland be-
came the geographical place in which God worked on me. I relish the five plus years I spent in
St Andrews and the two years I was in Cupar. I faced some serious challenges that moulded me
and shaped me. When I first arrived in St Andrews nearly ten years ago, I could not foresee all
that the Lord would lead me through during my 50s. I journeyed through a time of challenging
preparation. I felt like I was taken off the front lines of ministry and placed out of action for fur-
ther training. Yet I treasure my time at St Andrews, Cupar, and back home in Longview/Kelso
for 15 months.

So here I am, just turning 60 today. I love it here in St Fergus and the North-East of Scotland. I
have a strong sense of calling to serve the people of St Fergus Parish Church. There is no place
I would rather be. I am here for the long-term. I sense that God has great things planned for St
Fergus and the NE, and I intend to be part of them. Finally I can truly say I am back in the thick
of the action, delighting where the Lord has placed me. As always, I ask for your prayers.

Blessings to you and yours,

No comments: