Wednesday, January 30, 2013

'How's My Bonnie Loon?'

I feel quite close to my next-door neighbours, Agnes and Jim. Agnes feels it her obligation to
make sure I am well taken care of. I enjoy being on the receiving end of her cooking: Scottish
Broth, mince and tatties, and fish cakes. When they heard I was shopping around for a new win-
ter coat, they bought one for me. I am deeply grateful for what they did and I feel well cared for. Throughout the years, I have been royally blessed by people like Agnes and Jim and many of
you who have been so kind to me. This love I receive staggers me and gives me pause to ex-
press my gratitude to the Lord who has been so kind and merciful to me.

Through our frequent comings and goings from our homes, Jim and I often cross paths. His fre-
quent greeting is how's my bonnie loon? When I first heard him say that to me in the autumn, I
didn't have a good sense of what he was asking me. Were they 'fighting' words? I doubted it:
his tone of voice and his manner did not convey that in any way. Agnes talked to me about
Jim's question to me. She heard it as a term of endearment expressing what she and Jim feel
about me. The word loon refers to a boy or a young man. Even though I haven't been a young
man for quite some time, I will certainly take it as a compliment. It's a tender stroke to my ego.
The adjective boonie can mean beautiful or good. I can't say that I am or ever have been beau-
tiful. I sense that Jim uses bonnie in a wider sense than good; sort of like bonnie Prince Char-
lie of Scottish history and lore. The use of my, I sense, makes the question from Jim more per-
sonal.

It seems to me that Jim is not really expecting me to give him an answer about how I am. It is
just a nice greeting to receive. So I very well might be reading too much in it; but it is fun to
speculate to my advantage. I have other things I must do other than thinking too deeply on Jim's greeting. Moments ago I heard a knock on my door that I knew was from Agnes. She uses a
broom handle to reach over the fence to poke on my back door. She always cooks for two, her
and Jim. But she has to go help with her ailing mother at tea time; so I get her portion tonight.
She handed me a large plate of mince, tatties, peas, and a carrot. It should provide me with two servings. Now I don't need to cook tonight, and I can enjoy Agnes's tasty mince and tatties. I
am looking forward to it!

Blessings to you and yours,




No comments: