Monday, November 02, 2009

Saying My Goodbyes Once Again

Yesterday, Sunday, was my last day as assistant minister of
Cupar Old Parish Church, in Cupar, Scotland. I have now com-
pleted a twelve month familiarization placement at the church.
During the past year I've attended probationary conferences.
studied Church Law, surveyed Scottish Church History, and
attended day-long conferences on a variety of topics. I have
just received my Certificate of Eligibility and am now consid-
ered a Church of Scotland minister. I am waiting to be called to
a specific charge someplace in Scotland. I have sensed God's
leading the past six years I've been here in Scotland, and ex-
pect God's continued leading in the years ahead.

Last November it felt great to get back into congregational pas-
toral ministry after being away for over five years. I enjoyed
getting back into preaching, leading worship, doing communion
services, conducting funerals, and making pastoral visits in
homes or hospitals. But most of all, I enjoyed entering into the
lives of the people of the church and they into mine. I grew very
fond of many, and I sensed the fondness of many for me. It has
been a wonderful year for me in Cupar and at the church. I grew
more in love of God, more aware of myself, and more involved
in the lives of people of the congregation.

And so when I closed my final prayers of the service on Sunday
I almost lost it. It really hit me hard that I was leaving people
who had become very dear to me. It wasn't any easier when the
congregation honored me at the end of the service and at a re-
ception after the service. My time here in Cupar has been a
very special year for me, and I am so grateful to God for the
time He gave me here.

But as I see one door closing behind me I see another one open-
ing before me. I leave with the blessing of the people I've been
with for this past year, and I realize that a new adventure is open-
ing up in front of me. I don't know where God is leading me, but
I do know that He is leading me into a new situation. I am start-
ing to realize that all of this is quite exciting. If you feel so in-
clined, I ask for your prayers as I receive my new orders.

Blessings to you and yours,

1 comment:

Canadi-Ann said...

Hi again,

I'm soooo glad that you had a good experience in a church and connected well with your parishioners. It's gotta be tough to move so much, so let's pray that your placement will go well and you can stay for awhile in one place, in the middle of God's plan.

I've been here 4 years now in Toronto and am grateful for the friendships & community that has developed.

Peace & joy