Thursday, November 26, 2009

Free Fall

I feel like I am in a free fall. It is as if all my support lines have been cut
and I am falling fast with nothing to stop me. The past twelve months at
Cupar Old Parish Church were wonderful. I had a steady income, some-
thing I had not experienced since 2003, and a supportive Christian com-
munity around me. For once I had stability after moving eight times in
the two years before I moved to Cupar. I enjoyed the past year here in
the small town of Cupar in the Kingdom of Fife on the east coast of Scot-
land.

My time at Cupar Old ended November 1st, and I've been grieving leav-
ing that congregation where I served as assistant minister. But it was
planned that I would be there one year and then go on to a new congre-
gation someplace in Scotland. I have been through this time of transition
several other times in my life, but I always knew where I was going. One
time I headed to Boston to join the staff of the Emmanuel Gospel Center
and another time it was back to Kelso to be with my mom. Then it was to
Philip and Interior, South Dakota, to minister at two churches before go-
ing to St Andrews for university studies. Each time I had a place to go,
but now I don't. I do not yet have a place to go to.

I am being reminded again about yielding my life to the Lord and trust-
ing in God to lead me to where God wants me. They are lessons that I
have to keep learning over and over. There are six ministry positions
here in Scotland that attract my attention. Currently there are over 180
vacancies in the Church of Scotland, but I am especially attracted to the
six. I can imagine myself finding a wonderful place of ministry in each
of those six. It has been hard for me to narrow them down to two or
three top ones. They are all over Scotland: two are in urban settings,
two are in rural parishes, and two are in small towns. After praying
about this for several days, I requested further information about one
of the vacancies at an urban parish in Glasgow. I had the strongest
sense about that one, and I will pursue it until doors close.

Although this time of my life is as challenging as any other time in my life,
I see it as a wonderful opportunity for spiritual growth. So, if you remem-
ber me in your prayers, pray that I would continue to focus on Jesus and
not lose heart as I face a new set of challenges.

Blessings to you and yours,

No comments: