Monday, March 02, 2009

Preaching Again

Yesterday, Sunday, March 1st, I preached from Mark 1:9-15 at Cupar
Old Parish Church. It was the first Sunday of Lent and I sought to en-
courage people to keep their eyes on Jesus during the forty days until
Good Friday and Easter Sunday. I compared the Christian life with go-
ing to a ceilidh, a Scottish dance. I likened Jesus coming to be baptized
with Jesus coming onto the dance floor to do a Scottish Sword Dance.
It turned out to be a very meaningful image for people in the congrega-
tion. I was struck by the power of imagination to strike a chord in peo-
ples' hearts. I received considerable positive feedback from people.

On Sunday I felt confident and comfortable up in the pulpit. I sensed it
coming two weeks ago when I preached from Malachi 4. But last Sun-
day I felt confident enough to refrain from relying on reading from my
sermon manscript, but keeping steady eye contact with the congrega-
tion. It was a big step for me. Until midNovember of last year, I really
hadn't preached a real sermon since August, 2003, when I was in
South Dakota. I had grown rusty when it came to preaching. I can feel
that it is all starting to come back to me now. I'm looking forward to
preaching every two weeks during my placement here at Cupar Old.

Blessings to you and yours,

No comments: