Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Regaining My Confidence Upfront

When I came to Cupar Old Parish Church in November of
last year, it had been over five years since I had preached
or led a worship service. I was pretty rusty the first couple
of months, especially when I preached. But my confidence
has been coming back, especially with leading portions of
the service. I'm making good headway with my preaching,
but still have a lot to work on.

I spend considerable time preparing for either the opening
prayers of adoration and confession in the first part of the
service or the prayers of thanksgiving and intercession in
the second part of the service. It includes choosing several
hymns or praise and worship songs. People seem to like
my style.

I often do the childrens' address in the first half of the serv-
ice and spend a good amount of time preparing for them. I
have done hundreds of childrens' addresses since the mid-
1970s, but they are always a challenge. I enjoy using my
imagination to craft an address that kids will listen to. I al-
ways feel good when there are children who repeat back to
me the main message. I am amazed at how many adults talk
about the childrens' addresses. I wish they would talk about
the sermons that way. Maybe there is something to be learned
here about the way we preach.

Last Sunday I shared with the kids that there is a God, that
God is good, and that God loves them. After the service an
excited mum ran up to me and shared that her eight-year-old o
son had told her in the car coming to church that he did not
believe there was a God and that there is nothing after death.
I was astonished that a boy his age would be thinking that
deeply. She was almost giddy that the childrens' address
seemed to have spoken directly to him. She said he was really
quiet when he came back to where he had been sitting. The
mother was so excited.

I'm preaching every two weeks at either the morning service
or bi-weekly evening service. I sense there is still a lot of work
to be done with my preaching. But I have been receiving good
feedback from people that has encouraged me. I have been en-
joying using my imagination as I prepare to preach. I was heart-
ened last Sunday when I greeted a church regular. She asked
if I was preaching that morning. When I told her I was not, she
responded that it was a pity that I was not. That made my day.

All the best to you and yours,

No comments: