Friday, March 06, 2009

Living in Scotland and the Issue of Tea

The meaning of 'tea' is often very confusing to me and many other
North Americans living over here in Great Britain, especially for
those of us who relate to mixed groups of Scots and the English. I
will write more about the Brits in a later blog. But now I want to
focus on the issue of tea.

In St. Andrews, especially at the University, there are two main
groups: the English and the Scottish people. Both are considered
British. (North Americans form one of the largest groups as well).
A big problem for me is what each group means by 'tea.' To North
Americans, 'tea' is a hot drink along with coffee and hot chocolate.
(I prefer hot chocolate, but if not offered, chose tea over coffee).
So when I was volunteering at a Christian retreat center in Eng-
gland last summer, tea was offered after dinner.

My problem came in November when I moved to Cupar, a very
Scottish town. I was often asked if I had my tea yet. Even cats
have 'tea' set out for them in the early evening. After many funer-
als there is usually a 'funeral tea." In most Scottish contexts, it re-
fers to a substantial meal in the late afternoon or early evening. I
rather enjoy being invited over for tea.

The problem is for a North American such as myself to determine
whether I am being invited to a tea in the English sense of the
word or in the Scottish sense. Earlier on when I was newer in Scot-
land I misinterpreted the invitation for tea. There were times when
I did not eat before hand, went to a tea expecting to eat well, and
had to eat a lot of biscuits with my tea to quell a growling stomach.
There were other times when I ate before the tea, and found a mag-
ficent spread of food upon my arrival. Such is life.

Blessings and all the best to you and yours,

No comments: