Friday, February 27, 2009

The Four Challenges Before Me

Every morning when I wake up I am faced with four key challenges.
The first challenge is to obtain a visa to remain here in Scotland as a
minister with the Church of Scotland. At this point I do not know
whether or not I will be successful in that endeavour. The second
challenge is to continue the steady work on my thesis that has to be
resubmitted by the 2nd of July. I would like to finish it by late April
or early May. The third is to continue my familiarization placement
with the Cupar Old Parish Church. That means I assist in leading
Sunday worship, preach twice a month, do pastoral visitation, con-
duct funerals, and enter into the daily life and mission of the congre-
gation. I am constantly wrestling with how to complete my thesis
and carry out my church placement. I find myself doing a constant
juggling act.

Far more important than these three, however, is the fourth chal
lenge: how I face these challenges before the face of the Triune God.
So throughout each and every day I have to be reminded of the Fa-
ther's purposeful love for me, of Christ's atoning death on my behalf,
and of the Spirit's empowering presence to enable me to grow graci-
ously and gracefully in Jesus. The first three challenges are only for
varying seasons of my life. Some may be for a long duration and others
only for a week. The number of them can also vary. But as long as I
live, and even into eternity, it is the fourth challenge that gives every-
thing else perspective and leads to deep and abiding joy in the jour-
ney of my life.

Blessings to you and yours,

No comments: