Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sabbath Keeping and My Frantic and Hectic Life

As I enter into my second year of ministry at St Fergus Parish Church in North
East Scotland, I am concerned that my life has become more frantic and hectic
than in any other period of my life. It is not only unhealthy physically and emo-
tionally, but also a revelation of deeper spiritual issues in conflict within me. If
I do not meet and engage with these contending forces within me, they will slow-
ly sabotage my life and Christian ministry and take me out of action.

For over forty years I have taken seriously the Fourth Commandment: Remem-
ber the Sabbath day, to keep it holy (Exodus 20:8-11 ESV). During that time,
I have always struggled to clarify what that meant for my life and, more impor-
tantly, how to work it out in my ministry. Even to this day, the issue of the Sab-
bath continues to be at the forefront of my reflection on living my life before the
face of God.  Rather than using time to do what God has called me to do, I rea-
lise that I misuse time. And this is not to my benefit.

Long have I planted the Sabbath in the sacred ground of my soul only to see it
attacked and overwhelmed by personal issues and spiritual forces round about
me. The Sabbath is at the very heart of my relationship with God, my Creator
and Redeemer. I have so much on my mind and am so often on the go that I
find it difficult to slow down and rest. My designated Sabbath has become my
'day off' in which I throw all that I had to do or wanted to do, but did not do,
during the preceding week. I have also noticed that because my Sabbath has
become my day off, it has sometimes become a day off from God. I confess
that there are days of rest that I blow God off and go about doing my own thing.

I look to Genesis 2:1-3 to find the seventh day as the glorious basis of the Sab-
bath. After six days of creation, God blessed the seventh day, made it holy,
and rested from God's labor. The Fourth Commandment (Exodus 20:8-11)
springs forth with vitality from the foundational passage in Genesis 2. I had
always read Isaiah 58 as speaking about true fasting, but verses 13-14 pro-
claim the rich beauty of honouring the Sabbath. In the last two verses of Mark
2 Jesus proclaims that man was made for the Sabbath and that He, Jesus, is
Lord of the Sabbath. Hebrews 4 points to a Sabbath rest that God's people
will enter at the end of time. The Sabbath is at the very heart of Christian
faith and at the very centre of the Christian life.

Even though there are times when I seek ways to avoid honouring the Sab-
bath, there is a greater part of me that yearns for weekly Sabbath rest. By
resting on the Sabbath, I gain God's perspective that brings order to my
sometimes chaotic life. I am reminded once again how my work is founded
on the accomplished work of Jesus Christ on the cross for the forgiveness
of sin and on his resurrection from the tomb. My life and my work are mean-
ingful because of a value from outside me. I rest from my own self-suffici-
ency. Every Sabbath that I observe I hear Jesus say to me: Come to me, all 
who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Matthew 11:25-30).
Sabbath rest is a weekly reminder that we are not home yet. It is preparation
for Sabbath rest at the end of time prepared by Jesus Himself.

It seems that whenever the Sabbath is discussed among Christians, sooner or
later there is the issue of when the Sabbath is to be observed. Is it Saturday,
Sunday, or any seventh day of one's week? I have seriously considered all
three options, and have made the decision to go for the seventh day of my
work week. I lead God's people in worship on Sunday, the Lord's Day. On
Monday I attend to personal issues such as grocery shopping, house cleaning,
laundry, and all the things I have to do for daily life here in Scotland. Tuesday
has become my Sabbath. For six days I have worked hard; on the my seventh
day, Tuesday, is my Sabbath when I meet with the Lord and am refreshed by
God. It is a time of enjoyment and pleasure in the Triune God, in God's crea-
tion, and in the beauty of God's labour.

I have only been following this scheme for several weeks now, but I've al-
ready been receiving the benefits of it. I have been enjoying Sabbath rest,
yet I have been getting more work done throughout the week. I see more of
an order of my life on a week by week basis. I feel free to take a day off to
rest in the Lord every seventh day. I would appreciate your prayers as I con-
tinue to plumb the depths of the riches found in Sabbath rest.

Blessings to you and yours,







No comments: