Tuesday, July 09, 2013

My First Year in a Wee Village in the Back of Beyond

I can't believe that I have been here in St Fergus in northeast Scotland for over a
year now. Like many Scots, a dear colleague of mine, the  minister of  the Meth-
odist church in Peterhead, has a marvellous way with words. She described St
Fergus as a wee village in the back of beyond. St Fergus is a wee village that is
integrated into early 21st century Scotland. Across the main road from the vil-
lage is the gas terminal that receives one third of the North Sea gas that is dis-
tributed throughout Britain. Despite that, some people I talk to do see St Fergus
and the region north of Aberdeen as more isolated from the rest of Scotland in
political, economic, and geographical terms.
.
My minister friend has sensed that many Christians here feel isolated personally
and spiritually from the other regions of Scotland. St Fergus exemplifies this
sense of isolation, of being in the back of beyond. Her description of St Fergus
strikes a chord within me. I feel like the Lord has placed me in a wee village in
the back of beyond. That description may apply to countless other wee villages
in Scotland, but this is where I am now. St Fergus and the other towns of Buch-
an are out of the way from where the real action is suppose to be taking place in
Edinburgh and Glasgow. We truly are the back of beyond. Furthermore, God has
placed me beyond my comfort level. As a result of being here just one year, God
has been continuing to work on me and to transform me. I have been stretched in
ways I have never been stretched before. St Fergus, the wee village in the back of
beyond, has become a set apart place where the Lord works on me so that I can
better shepherd God's people in the village.

St Fergus in particular and North East Scotland in general are way out there be-
yond Aberdeen, the third major city of Scotland. Aberdeen is home to one of the
four ancient and distinguished universities in Scotland. There's a lot of things hap-
pening in Aberdeen due to receiving the bounty of North Sea oil. Yet people pre-
fer living in the Central Belt between Edinburgh and Glasgow where things are
supposed to really be happening. When I have returned to St Fergus and the North
East from London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, and even Aberdeen, I feel like I am again
coming into the back of beyond. It is a different world. I have enjoyed learning to
live within this new culture and region that God has called me to.

I am still struggling to understand the Doric Tongue. I often feel like I am taking
three steps forward, and then in short order taking two steps backward. There are
times when I preach when I wonder if people are understanding what I am saying.
It takes time to identify the church culture of St Fergus Parish Church. I am con-
tinuing to distinguish between how things are to be done and how they are not to
be done. I have enjoyed my short time here and I am looking forward to many
more years of service here. I am happy being here and I have no intention of look-
ing elsewhere. Most of all, I recognise that the Lord has placed me here not only
to serve and minister, but to be shaped, prepared, and equipped for even more am-
ple service in God's Kingdom. This is what God is doing as I have been led to the
wee village in the back of beyond.

Blessings to you and yours,





No comments: