Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Week in the Life of Jeff

Even though I am no longer the assistant minister of Cupar Old Parish
Church, I still find that my days are jammed full of things I have to do.
Every day except Sunday I work on my thesis rewrite and search for
pastoral vacancies, hoping that for one of them I might be just the can-
didate they are looking for. Last week I enquired about two vacancies
that I was keen on. Unfortunately I was informed that both congrega-
tions were on the verge of calling a new minister. I was a bit disap-
pointed, but I have continued to search for the congregation(s) that
God has planned for me.

This past week was also filled with social events and get togethers with
friends. One night was the Guild Christmas dinner. Most Church of Scot-
land congregations have a social group for the women of the congregation.
Ken, the minister of the church, and I were invited, but Ken had another
meeting scheduled. So I was the only male among thirty or so women. It
was nice. I savored the salmon I ordered, received one of my favorite
Christmas gifts, chocolate, and enjoyed delightful conversation with Mar-
garet, a table companion to my right. She shared about her experiences
as a nurse during the London Blitz in World War II; her service as a Brit-
ish Army nurse in North Africa, Italy, Belgium, and Germany; being
courted by her future husband in all of those theaters of operation; and
being shocked by all the devastation when the Allies began the occupa-
tion of defeated Germany. I was fascinated by her adventures as a
young woman.

One day last week I went into St. Andrews, just a 20-minute bus ride
away, to meet some friends. Rory is the minister of the town-center
Church of Scotland congregation in St. Andrews. He has been very en-
couraging of my transfer from the Presbyterian Church (USA) to the
Church of Scotland. I will be spending Christmas Day with Rory and his
family, something I really look forward to. Then I met with Bruce, a fel-
low Presbyterian minister, who flew in from Seattle to do research and
writing on his thesis. He became a dear friend the past two years when
he and his family lived in St. Andrews. We shared an office together and
I was often invited over to their house for meals and get togethers. To-
day he flew back to Seattle.

Over the past few months I have become involved with an ecumenical
healing prayer ministry here in Cupar. A group of us have been meeting
together weekly to pray about the ministry going public in mid-January.
Today a small group of us met together to receive further training about
the healing prayer ministry. I hope to be here long enough to see it start
up in Cupar. It is something I'd like to see established in the church I am
called to, hopefully soon.

As they say here in Scotland, 'That's me!' I continue to ask for your pray-
ers as I discern where the Lord wants me to serve Him and His Kingdom
here in Scotland.

Blessings to you and yours,

No comments: