Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Christmas Treat!

Ever since I arrived here in Cupar in late October, 2008, I have
heard about the Lochiehead Nativity Play. So many people I talked
to said it was something I had to experience. Last year's six perfor-
mances over three days came and went before I could arrange to get
a ticket to attend a performance. I hoped this year would be differ-
ent, but it looked like this year I would not have the opportunity to
see the play.


For the past twelve or so years there has been a Nativity play put
on at the Lochiehead Farm, about 8 miles from Cupar. Thirty to
forty volunteers from all over the area start practicing in mid-
November in preparation for the six showings the weekend just be-
fore Christmas. They are all ages, ranging from the baby who 'plays'
the baby Jesus, to the 70-year old who plays Simeon, and all ages
in between. Of course the baby and the infant's mother as Mary are
different each year. The baby's father is offered the opportunity to
play Joseph, but often the father declines and another man plays the
part. Some of the babies who have been Baby Jesus in earlier years
are now old enough to have parts in the play as shepherd boys. One
Mary of several years back has another part in this year's Nativity
play. Some volunteers have been involved for many years, but for
many others this is their first year in the play.

I wanted to see the play, but I couldn't find anyone with whom I
could get a ride to the farm. It is really difficult for me to get to the
play because I do not have a car. But on the day of the first show-
ings a good friend invited me to go to the evening showing. It real-
ly made my Christmas season! That night I was at the Lochiehead
Nativity Play and treated to a wonderful time. It is really quite a
production.


There were two or three inches of fresh snow when the whole cast
processed to an area just in front of the gathered crowd out in the
open air. Torches provided light and there was an excellent sound
system. Thus began the Christmas Story played out before us. We
watched as Joseph guided a pregnant Mary on a donkey to find a
place to stay the night. Finally Joseph was offered a place in a barn,
and there Jesus was born. We watched as shepherds tending sheep
in a nearby field heard an angel announce to them the birth of Jesus,
their Messiah. Then we proceeded past mooing cattle to the barn
where Mary, Joseph, and the new born baby Jesus were. I think
the baby slept the whole time of the performance! We watched the
shepherds come in to check out the angel's announcement. Then
Wise Men in stunning costumes rode up to the barn on horses and
entered the barn to worship the new born King. Simeon, Anna, and
Herod all made appearances in one way or another. I was really
caught up in the Story! It truly was a Christmas treat that I will
long remember!

Christmas blessings to you and yours,

No comments: