Monday, September 08, 2008

Recently Found on Holy Island: A Supply of Dr. Pepper

Other than finding a stash of Dr. Pepper available for con-
sumption the other day, there really is nothing significant
to report. My routine consists of cleaning toilets, washing
dishes, preparing rooms for guests, leading a couple of
prayer times a week, and being available to people as they
drop by The Open Gate Christian Retreat Centre. God con-
tinues God's slow and steady transformative work in my life.

But here are some observations and thoughts about the last
few weeks:

I noticed one Holy Island resident sipping on a bottle of
Dr. Pepper a week or so ago. I went on a wild search for
the fine drink. My heart was gladdened when I finally
found a sizable supply at a little store in the center of the
village.

As of today I have been volunteering at The Open Gate for
three full months. I expected when I arrived here that I
would be here only six or seven weeks. But now I plan to
be here until October 31 when I move from here to take
up a placement at a Church of Scotland congregation near
St. Andrews.

There's been a significant and constant downpour of rain
the past week. Over on the mainland there has been con-
siderable flooding, but Holy Island has been spared. I don't
remember experiencing such a longterm downpour. Today
we saw a little sun peek out from behind the storm clouds. It
was glorious.

I have enjoyed the many American guests who pass through.
Last week I especially enjoyed a small group of Episcopalians
from St. Paul, Minnesota. I think they left St. Paul at this
time to escape the Republican National Convention in their
fair city last week. I thought they were all right even
though they were Democrats. I made sure that they heard
all the good news coming out of the RNC in their home town.
Yet it was refreshing to have fellow country people with
whom I shared a similar language and cultural cues!

Since I arrived here on Holy Island, England, I have been
receiving a crash course in all things English. I have been
told that I make a great cup of tea for an American. I have
learned that for a proper English cup of tea, milk is poured
before the tea. I do as I am told!

My time here at The Open Gate on Holy Island has been
an extemely meaningful time for me. I had no idea way
back in May that I would even be here. It has been a spe-
cial gift from the Lord to be here far longer than I had ex-
pected. It has been a very special time for me, these last
three months on Holy Island, especially the discovery of
the supply of Dr. Pepper.

Peace and blessings to you and yours,

1 comment:

Liz said...

DR. PEPPER!!!! YEE HAW!!! So is it diet???? I'm comin' right on over....