Friday, September 12, 2008

A Little Time Out

Tomorrow I head out on the 'Iona Pilgrimage' for a six day
retreat to engage with the story, people, and present con-
cerns and commitments of the Iona Community. The Iona
Community is in the western islands of Scotland and is a
much larger sister community of the Community of Aidan
and Hilda (CAH), the community that sponsors the Open
Gate Retreat Centre where I've been since early June.
Last week Ray Simpson, one of the leaders of the CAH,
helped to lead a retreat at Iona on contemporary pilgri-
mage. Ray and other leaders thought it was important
that I go on the Iona Pilgrimage. They hoped that my
going would help strengthen the kinship ties between
the two sister communities.

We will spend the first three days, Saturday to Tuesday,
in Dunblane, a town in the central part of Scotland. The
program includes worship in the unique Iona style, becom-
ing familiar with the Wild Goose Resource Group, and hear-
ing about the ecumenical orientation of the Iona Community.
On one of those days we participate in the 'Glasgow Pilgrim-
age' in order to learn about the urban foundation of the Com-
munity. We will spend our last three days on Iona to learn
more about the present work of the Iona Community, its
ministry of healing, and the Community's Rule of Life. I do
not know how many people will take part, but I do know
that we will experience living in community and worship-
ping together. We are also told to expect time for relaxa-
tion and recreation.

I have been feeling a little worn out the past few weeks be-
cause I have stayed on Holy Island longer that I had ex-
pected. It was like I sprinted at the beginning of my time
when I thought I'd be there only six weeks. Only later did
I realize that I needed to run as a long distance runner. It
will be good to enjoy Iona (with Holy Island, one of my fav-
orite places in Britain) and have some time out for a week.
I expect to be refreshed and to continue my volunteering
at The Open Gate.

Blessings to you and yours,

No comments: