Saturday, July 26, 2008

The State of My Heart

I'm not posting here about my physical heart-it is stronger,
perhaps, than it ever has been. I am referring to my spiri-
tual heart. All is well there, but I sense God is continuing to
do some major work on my heart as the spirtual center of
my life.

Yesterday I returned from a three-day, two-night St. An-
drews visit, my third since I moved down to Holy Island/-
Lindisfarne in early June. I enjoyed catching up with the
plans of several good friends, eating a stack of pancakes at
the North Point, walking by the North Sea, and being intro-
duced to newborn Lawson Ryan Parks, a Colleen and Ryan
production, dear friends from Canada.

As I travelled back by train to Holy Island, I had a strong
sense that my heart longed to be in St. Andrews. Although
I had informed the Church of Scotland that I was open to
serving anywhere in Scotland, I always have felt a strong
pull to St. Andrews. Recently I was informed by the Church
of Scotland that I should expect to be assigned to a church
in St. Andrews for my one year familiarization placement.
I could not imagine anything better. I am looking forward
to moving back up there and starting pastoral ministry in
Scotland. That is where I long to be!

But as I travelled by train to Holy Island, I also had a sense
of excitement about returning to the Island and my service
at The Open Gate. I realized that my heart is in St. Andrews,
but it is being shaped on Holy Island/Lindisfarne. My time
at The Open Gate on Holy Island is where God is preparing
me for the next phase of my ministry in Scotland. So I trea-
sure this time on Holy Island; it has been such a rich time
for me.

I covet your prayers as I continue on this amazing journey.

Blessings, and all the best to you and yours,

No comments: