Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Rest of the Story

In the last posting I shared about prayer, work, and study
providing the structure of my time here at The Open Gate
on Holy Island /Lindisfarne. After thinking about what I had
written I determined that I needed to add rest to those three.
That is the rest of the story.

After prayer, work, and study all day, as 9:30 pm approach-
es, I realize just how worn out I am. During my stay here this
has happened night after night and week after week. I have
not had any trouble falling asleep. When I wake up in the
morning I feel rested and am eager to carry on with the new
day. I have come to realize just how necessary rest is for me
to pray, work, and study as God would have me do. It is es-
sential for living before the face of God.

The four staff people here at The Open Gate take sabbath
rest seriously. They make sure that I get a day off for ev-
ry six I work, and that we honor the Lord in a special way
on Sunday. We also take rest seriously by taking breaks
during the day, meeting together for hearty meals and ta-
ble talk during the day, and taking naps.

Rest energizes everything else: prayer, work, and study. I
am grateful to the Lord for the rest God gives me.

All the best to you and yours,

No comments: