Saturday, April 21, 2007

Starting to Descend

This past week I experienced what felt like the girding up of my
loins for the final stage of my dissertation writing. I wasn't real-
ly expecting it, but I wasn't surprised when it happened. During
the past three weeks I have submitted my introduction and sixth
chapter. My advisor was pleased with both submissions, and we
agreed that I had turned a significant corner. I am several days
away from finishing my eighth chapter (chapter seven is done),
and I have already written a significant portion of the final chap-
ter. I expect to have that done by early May. I will submit a qual-
ity draft of all the chapters to my advisor in early June. Based
on his evaluation, I plan to submit my completed dissertion for
examination no later than September 1.

Late last December I flew from Frankfurt to Denver, a twelve
hour flight. I enjoyed chatting with my seat companion during
much of the time in the air. Even though it was long flight, it
was a good one. About an hour and a half out of Denver the pi-
lot announced when we would be expected to land and what
the weather was like in the Denver area. I had been having a
good time, but I was excited about reaching my destination. I
felt a burst of energy and I had a grin on my face as well as a
smile on my heart.

That's how I feel now, only more so. And rather than being a
passenger on the plane, I am the pilot of a Boeing 747 Jumbo
jet. The control tower has just reported that they have picked
me up on their radar. I look at the check list of things I need
to do as we prepare to land. It used to be a lengthy check list
at the beginning of the flight, but now it has gotten shorter. All
that I need to do is follow my submitted flight plan and keep
checking off the things that need to be done. There is still a lot
to do, but the end is now in sight. I am working very hard, but
I am having fun doing it!

So, dear friends and family, if you have an occasion to remember
me in your prayers, please pray for me.

All the best to you and yours.

No comments: