Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Italian Connection

I had wanted to write about my Holy Week, Good Friday, and
Easter Sunday, but that will wait until later. I would like to
share with you about my dinner conversation at evening meal
today. I was eating and chatting with three delightful Italian
students over the evening meal just a few minutes ago.

For three weeks now I have been taking my evening meals
at Deans Court, the postgraduate accommodation just be-
hind the building where I have my office. I have now been in
St. Andrews for three and a half years. Deans Court was where
I stayed my first two years. Each of the fifty postgraduate stu-
dents has his or her own room, and three meals a day, five days
a week, are provided. I really enjoyed my time there because
I made friends from various countries of the world. I have to
admit that I wish now that I had not moved out because I did
enjoy it so much. I have so many happy memories there and
friends whom I remember fondly.

Two good friends of mine, Michael from Slovakia and Alan from
Scotland, were at Deans Court when I lived there and had also
moved out the same time I did, but had continued to take their
evening meals at the residence. Three weeks ago I talked with
the administrator and asked if I could take my evening meals
there. Ever since she gave me her ok, I have never regretted
being back there.

The food is good (the chef is a good cook); it costs me about the
same (if not less) than cooking for one on my own; I get vege-
tables, fruit, and a good variety of food; and I have very interest-
ing table companions. It has been a very good deal for me.

I have tended to be one of the last ones to leave the dining room
each night because I get caught up talking to people (and I am a
very slow eater). Tonight I found myself sitting across the table
from three Italians (one from the north, one from the south, and
one from the middle). Two of them are doctoral students in phil-
osophy and the other is a Masters student in history. I asked
about whether Italy ever had much in the way of colonies. What
followed was a history lesson about the Italian city states and the
reasons why Italy never really had an empire. Then they told me
about the distinct differences between their respective regions. I
really enjoyed the conversation and listening to each one share
about his affection for his respective region.

I left well-satisfied with good food and excellent table conversa-
tion.

No comments: