Saturday, April 14, 2007

Decompression, a Parade, and a Long Conversation

This past Thursday I turned in a draft of my seventh of nine
chapters. I worked on it quite intensively, so I was relieved to
submit it to my supervisor. I needed time to decompress be-
fore I start work on the eighth chapter on Monday. I have been
doing reading for fun, walking, listening to radio programs on
my IPod, and doing light chores that I had neglected.

Today, Saturday, I took pleasure in the annual Kate Kennedy
Procession. Nothing much is known about the Lady Kate, and
legends about her abound. But there has been a procession in
her honor for many centuries now, celebrating the return of
spring to Scotland. Today was a glorious spring day that accom-
panied the 2007 edition of the Kate Kennedy procession. How
I enjoyed it!

The procession has been organized by the Kate Kennedy Club,
and it has three purposes: to preserve university traditions, to
encourage university and town relations, and to raise funds for
local charities. The highpoint each year for the club is organizing
and conducting the procession. The procession promotes and
proclaims the collective memories of the town and university.

The procession of selected students representing just over
eighty significant historical figures of the town and university
process through the three main streets of the town. There are
colorful figures from the early Scottish church, the War of In-
dependence, the founding and long history of the university
(since 1410), the arts and sciences from the university, the
Scottish Reformation, Royalty, the National Covenant era,
revolution, reform, and the town, each figure or group dress-
ed in the colorful attire of their era. There was a bagpipe and
drum marching band at each end of the procession. I loved
the history, pageantry, and especially the bagpipers. The mu-
sic really stirred my heart and I wanted to get out on the street
and march with them. It was all quite fun!

Since the procession was relatively short, I viewed it from var-
ious places in the town. I was waiting for the procession to come
to my new vantage point when a Scottish guy I had seen around
town for the past few years came up and started to chat with me.
People say I am easy to talk to, so I do have plenty of occasions
when people I don't really know come up to me and engage me
in conversation. Over the years I have had many memorable
conversations. It seems to happen when I least expect it, but
I really enjoy it.

He started talking to me about political stuff in the US that was
in line with British public opinion and the British press. Many
times I sense a degree of hostility from British people and the
British press in regards to the president and various policy is-
sues. Politically I am conservative, and when I hear such talk I
usually roll my eyes and move on. But I was really annoyed, and
I went after him.

I sensed that he realized that I was not like most Americans liv-
ing here in St. Andrews. I would characterize most of the Amer-
cans, ever since 2000, as being in a state of moaning and groan-
ing, and mourning, that is until the US elections last November.
As I replied his eyes got bigger and he seemed to think more
carefully about what he was going to say.

But I really respected him because, even though he realized
we held contrary positions, he didn't walk away but convers-
ed with me for over an hour. He recognized our disagreement,
but he listened to me. In all of this he never told me that I or
anybody else with my views were evil, stupid, or a Christian
right wing idiot. He didn't go ballistic on me! I firmly believed
he was wrong, but I would never have considered him evil or
warped. We listened to each other and had respect for one an-
other.

We both got so caught up in our discussion that we didn't take
the opportunity to watch the parade going by. But it was worth
it.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Give 'em heck, Jeff!