Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sabbath Remembrance

There are a few times when I am surprised by God's
unexpected graciousness at work in my life. On Sun-
day after church I was chatting with a friend about
weekend activities and plans. I asked her about a de-
cision she had to be making soon, and she gave me
a brief update.

Then she asked about me and what I was going to do
with the rest of the day. I had planned to go to the
office and spend some time working on the disserta-
tion. I told her I tried to keep Sundays as Sabbath,
but that I felt pressure to get a lot of writing done
during the next few weeks because I didn't know
what the future had in store for me.

In a very gentle and wise way she directed words of
life right into my heart. Probably without realizing it,
she sensitively addressed my tendency to overwork
and do things as if everything depended on me. The
Sabbath, she said, was meant to remind us that we
are entirely dependent on God in all we do. God is
the Lord of time.

Her words struck deeply into my heart. I had known
that for such a long time. Yet I find my heart --my-
self-- wandering away from what gives life, and the
Sabbath was given to bring us life and to call us back
to the Lord of the Sabbath. I was especially reminded
that I often find it hard to trust God. Her good words
sank deep into my heart, and there really was nothing
that I could do except ponder them, her lifegiving
words. They slowly sank deep into my life and started
doing their life-enhancing work in me.

I didn't go into the office; but I enjoyed wonderful
table companionship with some good friends, deli-
cious food, enjoyable conversation, a refreshing walk,
and uplifting worship and teaching in the evening.
Whenever I gave any consideration to going to the of-
fice to write, I felt uneasy and conflicted. Yesterday
truly was a day of life for me; trusting in God, glori-
fying God, and enjoying God are what are truly im-
portant. Nothing could be better.

My disordered heart was put right and again I was
reminded to see life from God's perspective. I was
given life once again.

Shalom, Jeff

No comments: