Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Christmas in Scotland

I know that Christmas is over and that you are tuckered out from all the Christmas festivities, wanting to forget about it until next Christmas. But I am still savouring the most recent Christmas. I have been learning more about Christmas here in Scotland that I want to share with you. I will try to keep it short, but I think it is important to learn about this in the country I now live.

I am a Church of Scotland minister. The Church of Scotland has had a strong influence on Scottish society until recent times, and this has included the celebration of Christmas. The Protestant Church of Scotland was the primary force in society for about 400 years, from 1560 to the late 1950s. Since that latter date, the Church's influence has dramatically decreased. During that time Christmas was essentially banned from observance. The powers that be in the Church frowned upon Christmas celebration. People have told me that as far back as the late 1950s, most people had to work Christmas Day, although children might have gotten gifts. Christmas celebration was what the Roman Catholics and English Anglicans did. Proper and God-fearing Scottish people did not behave like they did.

And that is why Hogmanay, or New Years, has always been the Scottish holiday of choice. For 400 years Christmas had been a normal day for most people in Scotland. It was noticed, but it was a quiet day. Hogmanay became a time to let loose and celebrate. Gifts were exchanged and families gathered together for festive meals at Hogmanay, not Christmas. People went house to house to sing, eat, and exchange gifts at Hogmanay. There was an open door policy. For children stockings were filled with a few goodies and sweets. Agnes, my next door neighbour, remembers that, as a young girl, her parents opened the door to their home for family, friends, and neighbours to drop by on Hogmanay. It was a festive time. Christmas, however, was just like any other day. These days, Agnes goes all out at Christmas, and doesn't do anywhere as much on Hogmanay.

Agnes tells me that all that began to change in the late 1950s. In 1958 the Scottish civil authorities declared that Christmas was a public holiday. This was perhaps due to the waning influence of the Church of Scotland and the cultural and economic influence of England and the USA. Boxing Day, the day after Christmas, was declared a public holiday in 1974. Christmas has become a time of Christmas festivity and gift giving; Hogmanay, as New Year's, is the big celebration time in Scotland. The latter is often characterised by times of riotous festivities. Since the 1980s, Christmas has been on par with Hogmanay, but Hogmanay is still far bigger in the eyes of the Scottish people.

Christmas in Scotland is now a significant holiday, although still not on the level of England or the USA. Saying that, the celebration of Christmas is exploding here. Christmas has become the season of gift-giving, festive family meals, Christmas decorations, and Christmas parties. Stores prepare for Christmas starting in late October. Black Friday has entered the Scottish vocabulary. I receive a good number of Christmas cards and Christmas gifts. I attend a lot of Christian functions in the weeks leading up to Christmas. I am busy with services on Christmas Eve, and even have had Christmas services to conduct. It is a fun time and I enjoy it. I especially enjoyed this past Christmas season.

New Year's, Hogmanay, is just a few hours away. I hope you had a very merry Christmas. Now I wish you a happy New Year! I hope to share about Hogmanay in a few days.

Every blessings to you and yours,


No comments: