Monday, December 22, 2014

Advent in Buchan: Waiting for Jesus to Come

A Christmas wreath with the four Advent candles surrounding the Christ Candle in the centre

I enjoy the season of Advent. Over recent years, it has become especially meaningful to me. Advent is built around the four Sundays preceding Christmas Day. It is a time of waiting and preparing for the birth of Jesus that first Christmas so long ago and so far away. There are rich blessings in the journey to the celebration of the birth of Christ that is conveyed by observing Advent. The seasons of Advent and Christmas make up my favourite time of year, especially as I minister in the life of a local congregation. 

Some churches observe Advent while others do not. Very few of the churches I have served over the years in one capacity or another have paid any attention to the four Sundays immediately preceding Christmas Day. Congregations that did have a time in their service for lighting the Advent candles did so without going deeper into the meaning of the season or integrating it into their service. I wonder if the more evangelical churches of which I am a part see it as too Roman Catholic or too much like the 'English' Church, that is, the Anglican churches. 

Here at St Fergus, I have tried to move slowly with the congregation in introducing Advent to them. I have not heard or sensed any negativity to Advent, but certainly there still is no appreciation for the deep meaning of Advent. The members and friends of the congregation treat me well. They chose me as their minister and so are willing to go along with what I bring to them. This is the third Christmas season I have been serving them, and therefore the third Season of Advent. By lighting the candles each Sunday, I am able to highlight some truth about God, ourselves, and salvation. Advent is a theologically rich time to bring to people's attention great biblical truths and realities. 

At the centre of the Advent Season are the Advent wreath and five candles. The circular wreath stands for God who is eternal; the greenery points to eternal salvation. The four candles that ring the central candle mean different things to various Christian traditions and customs. One tradition that I am familiar with has them stand for hope, peace, joy, and love. Another tradition follows the order of repentance, forgiveness, preparation, and salvation. Sometimes great figures in biblical history are highlighted with the lighting of each candle. The candles can also be in different colours to portray various biblical themes. There is no one accepted position for the meanings or colours of the candles.   

At St Fergus, I use the wreath and candles in a very simple way to teach the essentials of the Christian faith.  Although the people of the church are great, as I mentioned above they could use a better grasp of Christian basics. Advent time is a wonderful opportunity to proclaim these basics within the framework of the beautiful Christmas Story. So each Sunday of Advent I am able to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people. I am also able to preach the Old Testament prophecies that are fulfilled in Jesus as presented in the New Testament Gospels.  That's why I enjoy preaching and worshipping during this time of year. 

Until the next post, blessings to you and yours, 

















No comments: