Wednesday, October 09, 2013

The Joy of Preaching

I know, I haven't posted on the blog since August. Well, I have my reasons and I will share them
with you in postings to come, but not now. I just want to briefly share with you my joy of preach-
ing. When I mount the steps into the pulpit on Sunday mornings at St Fergus Parish Church, I feel
like a knight in full armour mounting his war horse, prepared for defending and extending the Roy-
al Realm. I am Sir Geoffrey the Lion-Hearted, groomed and trained for battle. As a preacher, I go
forth armed with Truth, Faith, and Prayer as only a few of my armour and arms. I experience great
joy in preaching as a valiant knight serving Jesus, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  

But I also enter the pulpit as Pastor Jeff the Tender-Hearted. I am a brave knight in my imagina-
tion, but I am a Pastor/Shepherd by calling. As I look out into the congregation, I see the faces
of women and men, boys and girls, with names that I seek to learn. I have heard the stories and
struggles of many of them. I sense a compassion for them that is a little bit like, but nowhere
near, the love that a mum has when her newborn is placed in her arms. I also know first hand the
stupid games we humans play with God and ourselves and how our hearts are prone to foolish wandering. We are utterly lost. And I, the God-ordained undershepherd, am called by the Good Shepherd himself to give my life for God's sheep. That contributes to the joy of preaching as well.

As I am up in the pulpit preaching, I realise that I am also Jeff the Broken-Hearted. It comes from
being a sinner as well as being sinned against. I need the blessed balm of the Gospel, of the Cru-
cified and Risen Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour. I need God's forgiveness. I need to forgive
those who have hurt me. The forgiveness that only Jesus can bring is at the heart of the Gospel.
We are all broken-hearted and in desperate need of the Gospel. Only the Cross and Empty Tomb
of Jesus Christ can make us whole-hearted. This is what gives me great joy in preaching: preach-
ing the powerful, life-giving Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Blessings to you and yours,    

No comments: