Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The God of Mercy and Jesus the Substitute

Since last September, I have had the privilege and pleasure of speaking and preaching at other
churches and ministries in North East Scotland. Preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ gives me
considerable joy. I take every opportunity I can get to do so. Things used to be different: except
for a year of being assistant minister at Cupar Old Parish Church in 2010, I did not have many
opportunities to speak between 2003 and when I returned to Scotland in June, 2012. My preach-
ing skills and abilities took quite a hit.

But that has changed since I arrived at St Fergus Parish Church. I enjoy preaching every Sunday
to the congregation. I purpose to speak words that point to Jesus Christ. My view of preaching is
that my preached words flow from the Word of God about the Incarnate Word of God who brings
life to God's people. This is what I do at St Fergus Parish Church on Sundays. But it is fun to be
asked to speak elsewhere. Since mid-June of last year when I arrived, I have spoken for over 100
occasions. I am honing my preaching skills and gaining in confidence. I have already been invited
back to most of the places!

Last Wednesday I spoke at the 'Bible Study' at Fraserburgh Baptist Church. Their pastor just got
up and left  a little over a year ago. The leadership of the church has been using a small group of
speakers to cover three services a week. Fortunately, they invited me to speak in early Decem-
ber. I was invited back last Wednesday. I enjoy speaking to the people at the church because
they exhibit a passion for Jesus and a hunger for God's Word. They sing hymns with gusto and
raise up heartfelt prayers to God. I was not disappointed last Wednesday.

I spoke on Genesis 15, one of my favourite biblical passages. The LORD God makes a cove-
nant with Abram, who later was named Abraham by God. I do admit that the story sounds
strange and bewildering. It takes on the form of the making of an ancient covenant between
a victorious king and a vanquished king. There would come a time when the latter would cut
animals in half and walk between them, thus cutting a treaty with the former. The conquered
king was making a statement that he be cut in half and his body left exposed for the birds of
prey if he disobeyed and rebelled against the conquering king.

Abram knew what he had to do after he cut up the animals to make his vow. He expected that
he would walk through the animal carcasses, but he fell into a deep sleep. When he came to, he
witnessed God's glorious presence passing through the carcasses. The LORD God pledged that
God would be faithful to God's promises. But God also knew Abram's tendency to disobey God
and to go his own way. By passing through the rows of animal carcasses, God was revealing
God's heart of substituting Godself for Abram's disobedience. God would take the place of
Abram at judgment.

I take what the LORD God did in Genesis 15 as a foretaste of what Jesus, God the Son, did on
the Cross of Calvary. Jesus took on our sin in our place on the tree of divine judgment. This way
of redeeming people from sin and death is referred to as substitutionary atonement in some Chris-
tian circles. I view it as a beautiful picture of how God brings salvation to humankind through the Person of God's Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus on the Cross is seen way back in Genesis 15 in the Old Testament. I was delighted to share that with the Bible Study Group at Fraserburgh Baptist
Church. Our hearts were thus further prepared to look to the Cross of Christ on Good Friday,
when Jesus substituted himself for us and took on himself divine judgment we deserved. May
you have a blessed Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday.

Blessings to you and yours,




No comments: