Thursday, March 21, 2013

An Eye Update

My right eye is doing poorly. Last Friday morning I was awakened from a sound sleep by pain
and teariness in the eye. The good progress of sight I had been experiencing the previous ten
days was wiped out. I had again lost my sight in that eye. Fortunately I met with the eye doc-
tor that day at the Eye Clinic in Aberdeen. She noticed that the setback had come about when
there had been a decrease in the amount of steroids I took each day. So she increased the dos-
age back to where it had been and asked me to come in on Monday. She would inject gas into
the eye if the eye pressure continued to be low.

I went Monday and saw the doctor. My eye was much better; I had limited sight again; and the
pressure in my eye had risen. No gas was injected into my eye. Over the past several days my
eye has felt much better, but my sight has not come back. The vision of the eye has always re-
turned after an adjustment of treatment, but it has not done so with the latest plan. I travel down
to the Eye Clinic tomorrow for another appointment with the doctor. I feel well cared for and I
trust the doctor who has taken my case. I don't have any idea how this will turn out.

I have had my moments of discouragement over the last seven or so weeks. Much of my atten-
tion and energy has been given to my eye. I never realised how much my eye was connected
to my physical, mental, and spiritual state of being. I never expected this; it came out of the
blue. I feel like I have been knocked off balance and took a stumble. I have been here in St
Fergus and NE Scotland since June of last year. I had been making great progress in the min-
istry. Things were starting to happen with people I was involved with. There was change in
the air. I was eager to get on into this year with the people of St Fergus Parish Church and
other people in Peterhead and the area. I affirm the Lord's calling me to serve here. There is
no other place I would rather be.

In 1991 and 1992 the lens of both eyes were removed and belts were placed around the reti-
nas to keep them from detaching. Since that time I have greatly benefitted from restored vi-
sion in both eyes and I have never experienced a retina detachment. I am thankful for the
use of my eyes that I have enjoyed for over twenty years. I guess I took my vision for
granted, even though I had poor and deteriorating vision before the two surgeries on my
eyes in the early 90s. Now the condition of my right eye has deteriorated in the last two
months while the vision in my left eye has remained very good. Both underwent the exact
same procedure. Part of me expects things like this to happen the longer I live and grow old-
er. Another part of me wonders if this is spiritual attack by dark forces bent on hindering the
advancement of God's kingdom. Perhaps it is a little bit of both. Regardless, I take this con-
dition of mine to the Lord in prayer. As always, I covet your prayers.

Blessings to you and yours,





No comments: