Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Wee Car



In a recent email, Larry -a good friend and reader of this blog- asked how my car situation was.
This is a picture of my  car 'situation:' a 2012 Peugeot 107. The '107' stands for a one litre en-
gine, which is enough car power for me. The roads in the North-East are pretty flat; there aren't
many long inclines. I have heard reports that this Peugeot car does particularly well on the mo-
torways, especially with its excellent gas mileage. It is more than enough car for me. It is a stand-
ard transmission, which I am enjoying after driving an automatic the year and a half I was in the
USA.

You might be wondering how a rather tall guy fits into such a wee car. If you are, there is a good
basis for your wonderment. It is a small car. I do have to fold myself up in order to fit into it, but I
am comfortable. There is enough leg room for me and I am able to step on the clutch comfortably.
I am cozy, but not cramped. I feel snug like a bug in a rug! Getting out is ok, even though it takes
awhile to unwind myself and get out of the car. There are times when I think I can 'hear' people
watching me and thinking how I am ever going to get myself into this wee little car. Since I feel
limber and loose enough, the getting in and the getting out doesn't bother me.

When I was first in Scotland from September 2003 until January 2011, I did not have use of a car.
I just did not have the money for a car nor a need that would have justified my having a car. But it meant that I did not drive for over seven years. I was content with walking, taking trains or buses,
and getting lifts from friends with cars. I really did not need a car. I was not hindered in any way
by my not having an auto for my personal use. Fortunately, the sixteen months time I had at
home in the USA gave me an opportunity to get back into driving again. Having a car really helped
me to do a lot of tasks more quickly than if I hadn't have had a car to use. Walking or taking the
bus to do basic errands would not have been a good use of my time. But that wasn't the case
when I was in Scotland.

When I arrived back in Scotland several months ago, I realized how important it was to have a
vehicle. I am able to do more things more quickly by using a car. I rented a car until my 3-year
lease car was delivered to me. The lease program was offered through a special arrangement
with the Church of Scotland. I had a limited choice of cars, but I am happy with the car I have
chosen. I feel very comfortable driving here in the United Kingdom. My mind quickly made the
conversion from driving on the right side of the road to driving on the left. I still have to work
on making left hand turns and changing gears more gracefully with my left hand. I am cau-
tious driving down narrow streets with cars parked on both sides of the road. But overall, I feel
very comfortable driving here. Again I am experiencing the joy of driving a car with a stick shift.

As always, I covet your prayers.

Blessing to you and yours, .....






No comments: