Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Response to Big R

It is always good to receive your comments, Big R. You know how to get a rise out of me. 
In over thirty years of some sort of pastoral ministry I have come to realize just how messy 
the Christian faith and church life are. Whether ancient Israel or the Church of the past two 
millennia, God's people have always been characterized by messiness. Nothing Christians 
do surprises me anymore. I did not write the blog post to place blame on anyone, especially 
young people. I was reporting what I heard people share with me. Things are pretty messy
with the Church today. 

As I have been walking around St Fergus and Peterhead talking to church-going people, I
have heard two key questions, two critical issues. The first is: where have all the young
people gone? The second is: where have all the people gone? A number of people remem-
ber how the churches of the area were filled to the brim in the 1950s, 60s, and even into the 
70s. Attending church activities for young people was part of growing up in Scotland. But 
now things are much different. Churches are not what they used to be. I can feel their grief 
and sadness as they participate in churches that are not what they used to be years ago. I 
have heard it said that the North-East of Scotland is about 20-30 years behind the rest of 
Scotland in terms of the decline of the established Church. Wales and England are also ex-
periencing the sharp decline of the Church. All the years of studies and reflection cannot 
take the edge off the trauma Church people feel for the rapid decline of the Church. No-
one seems to have an answer. 

In the face of this, I am optimistic. God delights to move in such situations. I see the Spirit
at work in Peterhead and St Fergus, and in churches round about. The Triune God is on the
move and I am seeking to fall in step with the Lord. There are churches reaching out to the
youth and there are congregations that are growing in number. I am meeting with believers 
from various churches in Peterhead who seek revival and renewal not only here in Peter-
head, but all over Scotland. Things are happening. But at this point in time, the advance-
ment of Jesus' kingdom is slow and at times barely perceptible. I hope to be writing more 
about this in future blogs. I ask for your prayers for this in the North-East of Scotland and 
wherever you may be. Big R, I'll be trying to engage with you remarks in upcoming posts. 

Blessings to you and yours,

1 comment:

Big R said...

I apologize for thinking you were blaming youg people. That was unfair and I'm sorry.
You are right, history to the present for Christians has always been messy. Even through the Old Testament the peoples relationship with God and each other was messy.
The fact still remains that the problem lies with the church. I include myself in this statement. I tend to be antagoniser to the church and it is seldom appreciated.
There is an interesting verse, 1 Cor.9:22 where Paul says, "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some." He has not neglected the message of Christ, he has changed his way of doing things to be relevent to the people he was ministering to. I submit to you that many churches, ministers and denominations are not willing to do this and any suggestion that they do so is met with great distain.
One of the reasons our youth group was so successful was Pat's willingness to be a kid again to reach kids. As you know we achieved that for several years. After that the church hired people who wanted to be adults leading kids. That doesn't work and never has.
If the church, yours or mine or any others wish to reach youg people they need to ask, " are we willing to make changes no matter how uncomfortable it may make us, so that we will be able to save some?"
As always I pray for your continued process. Oswald Chambers said on July 28th, (my birthday) " God isn't interested in our success but in our process."
If you have Utmost for His Highest, it is still a great read and one of the best daily devotionals.
Thank you for puting up with me and my tiraids,
May the love Jesus surround you.