Friday, July 01, 2011

Unexpected Setbacks

A week ago I suffered two setbacks. I was involved in an auto accident that
totaled my car and I received disappointing news that a Member of Parliament's 
appeal of my visa refusal was not successful. I do not view these two setbacks
as defeats, but as challenges that I must engage with. 

The car accident occurred on Thursday, June 23. Just 15 minutes before the ac-
cident, I was in the dental chair. The dentist was preparing one of my molars for
a crown. A local anesthetic was used, but it still was not a pleasant experience.
I was in the chair for over an hour. When I was released, I did not sit down or
rest, but got in my car and headed home. The preparatory work was an ordeal,
but I felt fine. I did not feel drowsy or faint, but steady and alert. 

I remember driving, listening to the radio, and paying attention to traffic signals 
for the next three blocks. The next thing I remember was a car coming from my 
right, the sound of a crash, my hood buckling, the air bags expanding, and steam 
venting out of the engine. I couldn't believe what I was going through. My car
was pointing down the cross street. I looked up and saw the green light turn to
red, and I knew I was at fault in the accident. I was shocked. I couldn't believe
what was happening to me.  

I got out of the car, walked to the corner, and saw that the other driver was ok.
A passing motorist called 911 and soon the police were on the scene. They
made sure we were ok and took reports from us. While the police were doing
what police do in these situations, I stood at the corner, watching traffic go by,
and looking at the wreckage that just minutes before had been my car. I was
stunned, but not confused. The police were great and took control of the situa-
tion. The truck driver who moved my car gave me a ride home. I reported the
accident to my insurance. They have taken great care of me. As I went through
what had happened, all that I could think of is that I had blacked out. I will write
more about that in a future posting.  

The next day I received disappointing news from the Member of Parlia-
ment who has been appealing my visa refusal. She reported that her ap-
peal on my behalf had not been successful, but declared that she was try-
ing another route of appeal. I was not surprised that the government had
rejected the appeal, but I was saddened to learn that I must wait 12 months
from the date of the March visa refusal  to apply again for a visa to return
to Scotland. That means I must wait two months more than I had thought
to apply for the visa. I will also write about that  in a future posting.  

In these trying circumstances, I keep looking to Jesus and walking forward in
faith. As always, I covet your prayers on my behalf.

Blessings to you and yours,   







No comments: