Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Finally! A Door Opens!

Last Sunday, January 16, I led worship and preached at St. Fergus Par-
ish Church. After the service, the congregation voted unanimously to
invite me to be their minister. After receiving the results of the voting
and verbally accepting the invitation, I went around the fellowship hall
greeting people and chatting with them. Then it was a fine Sunday din-
ner with several of the elders of the church back at the hotel where I
had been put up. Soon I was on the bus that took me back to Aberdeen
where I caught the train to Cupar.

I used the order of service that St. Fergus has been using for decades,
if not for generations. It had been unfamiliar to me until I used the same
order of service at the nearby church where the Nominating Committee
had heard me three weeks before. The Scripture readings were from Is-
aiah 43:1-5a and John 10:1-14. My big idea was that God has promised
to be with us in the troubles and trials of life. Two of the four hymns I
chose were personal favorites: Be still my soul and Be Thou my vision.
They fit in well with the sermon. For the Children's Address I looked
up in a name book the meanings of five of the ten Sunday Club children.
After the service while voting was taking place, I visited the children in
their Children's Club rooms and looked up the names of the other five.

I worked hard on shaping a good flow to the service and doing sermon
preparation. After being away from preaching for the five years when
I was at St. Andrews, I had lost confidence in preaching. Preaching op-
portunities during my year at Cupar Old helped, but they still were not
enough. I spent the last year thinking and working through both my
sermon preparation and delivery. It has been a challenging road. But
last Sunday everything came together in the sermon as well as in the
service. It was as if all my systems were back on line. I felt like I was
back to the level I was at the year before I came to Scotland. I thorough-
ly enjoyed preaching as well as conducting the service. I had fun. I hope
to be able to grow as a preacher in the years to come at St. Fergus.

I will post more about St. Fergus in the days to come. Meanwhile I am
still savoring last Sunday.

As always, blessings to you and yours,

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Pastor, I hope you can post more of your sermons online. Maybe a Monday morning ritual with a cup of Joe and waffles and maple syrup topped with sprinkles of powder sugar in your jammies and Rachmaninoff's Symphony on the stereo. And on Friday evenings you could pray with the old folks at the home and give them a trial version of your sermon for Sunday. Wishing you every success for the Kingdom of God is at hand.