Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The BBC and Me

Ever since I made the decision just over two years ago to remain perma-
nently in Scotland, I have endeavored to learn more about Britain in
general and Scotland in particular. I find that I and many Americans
have been confused about what Great Britain, the United Kingdom,
Scotland, and England refer to. The concept of Great Britain is com-
plex and fascinating. Essentially it is made up of three countries: Scot-
land, England, and Wales. There are also some islands that are consid-
ered part of Great Britain. I have found that we Americans often use
'England' when we really need to use 'Great Britain'. People in Scotland
and Wales tend to view England as domineering in the relationship. The
former have taken the initial steps to disconnecting from England, thus
ending Great Britain. But that is for the future. However, never refer to
a person from Scotland or Wales as English! The United Kingdom refers
to Great Britain (Scotland, England and Wales) plus Northern Ireland.
But enough of that!

The BBC (the British Broadcasting Corporation) has helped me to get to
know more about this great land. I try to listen to an hour of BBC news
podcasts each day. By downloading the news onto my iPod I can listen
to the news as I walk, do errands, or cook my meals. I learn a lot about
the British people by listening to the news podcasts. The BBC is also
world renowned for its global newscasts. I do appreciate BBC news, but
I do find the BBC's left-of-center slant a bit much at times, especially
when it comes to their coverage of US politics and foreign affairs. I lis-
ten to podcasts of conservative talk show hosts Michael Medved and
Hugh Hewitt in the US for a different perspective. But I really appre-
ciate hearing these contrasting points of view.

Early last year I stumbled across the BBC's i-Player which allows view-
ers to watch shows online seven days after they were presented on TV.
I had wanted to watch a series on the history of Scotland, but I was un-
ble to watch its scheduled airings. Somehow I found out that I was able
to watch it at any time during the next seven days on the i-Player. It
was brilliant! For over a year now I have scanned the schedule looking
for programs on British history and culture, focusing on Scotland. I
watched series on the history of Scotland, the history of Britain in the
20th century, and the contributions of the people of Scotland to the
world. I've watched shows on favorite drives by car, trips by train, and
hikes on foot throughout the beautful land of Britain. I have especially
enjoyed a series called 'Coast' which explores different portions of the
coast of Britain. This year there have been programs on the Battle of
Britain and the evacuation of Dunkirk because it is the 70th anniver-
sary of both of those significant events during the Second World War.
This past week I have watched shows about the First World War, cli-
maxing in Remembrance Sunday.

There is a rich history here in Britain, the land is beautiful, and the Brit-
ish people are a great people. I have really enjoyed getting to know this
great land and its people.

Blessings to you and yours,

No comments: