Wednesday, March 10, 2010

In the Wilderness

Christian musician Michael Card is one of my favorite singer/songwrit-
ers because he gives rich musical expression to profound biblical truth.
His song 'In the Wilderness' has been a constant refrain in my heart
for the past twenty-one months of my journey in life. The words pow-
erfully convey in a way I cannot what is going on in my heart at this
time of my life.

'In the Wilderness,' composed and sung by Michael Card

Chorus:
In the wilderness, in the wilderness/
He calls his sons and daughters to the wilderness/
And he gives grace sufficient to survive any test/
And that's the themeful purpose of the wilderness.

In the wilderness we wander, in the wilderness we weep/
The wasteland of our wanting where the darkness seems so deep/
We search for the beginning, for an exodus to hold/
We find that those who follow him must often walk alone.

Chorus

In the wilderness we're wandering for a way to understand/
In the wilderness there's not a way, for the way to become a man/
And become the exodus, the way to holy ground/
But wandering in the wilderness, is the best way to be found.

Chorus

Groaning and growing amidst the desert days/
the windy winter wilderness can blow the self away.

Chorus

And that's the themeful promise of the wilderness.

The past twenty-one months have been especially challenging for me,
but I have learned so much about myself and about God. In the wilder-
ness I have been shaped, and continue to be shaped, for my next step
in life. I sense that is coming very soon. And as Michael Card sings in
another song of his, there is joy in the journey.

Blessings to you and yours,

No comments: