Thursday, March 25, 2010

I Don't Care for ObamaCare

It has been over a year now that I have been following closely the health-
care debate in US politics. I have become a news junkie of sorts. The
BBC, Hugh Hewitt, Albert Mohler, and Michael Medved are the main pod-
casts that I listen to daily. So while I walk, cook a meal, wash my dishes,
and take a break, I can listen to podcasts. I listen to the BBC's Global
News and Newspod religiously every week day. But I have come to value
the different perspectives of the other three programs. I do appreciate
the BBC, but Hewitt, Mohler, and Medved - three distinguished talk-
show hosts in the US - are breaths of fresh air to me. I'd go crazy if all I
had to listen to were the BBC and the major US media outlets.

Last Sunday I followed the healthcare debate in the House, but because
of the time difference most of the significant action took place while I was
asleep. Just before I went to bed, I read that Pro-Life Democrats were
close to making an agreement with President Obama to change their no
votes to yes votes. While I was asleep, the President issued an executive
order that federal funding would not be used for abortions. Even though
an executive order is not legally binding, the Pro-Life Democrats changed
their no votes to yes votes, and the Healthcare bill passed the House by a
very narrow margin. I foresee that the executive order will not stop fed-
eral funding from being used for abortions.

I was deeply distressed. I am also deeply disturbed by the shady back-
room deals, the wheeling and dealing behind closed doors, the payoffs,
and the legislative gymnastics. I was deeply disturbed that the bill was
rammed through the House without scrutiny or study and against over-
whelming opposition. No Republicans voted for the bill, not because it
came from Speaker Pelosi or President Obama, but because it was a
monstrosity and disaster that puts our nation in economic peril.

I want to see serious healthcare reform, but I cannot see how this bill will
help. Even though the President vows the bill will reduce the debt, I fear
it will increase the debt and bankrupt the nation. Even though President
Obama claims the bill will add jobs, I fear it will not address the critical is-
sue of unemployment. The Democrats foresee that the bill will help small
business owners, but small business owners expect that there will be soar-
ing costs and higher taxes. The President claims that insurance premiums
will go down, but the best authorities on the matter expect the premiums
to rise sharply. The Dems promise that the quality of healthcare will go up,
but almost everybody else foresees it getting worse.

But most of all it was the vanity and arrogance of the President, the
Speaker, and other Democrats that shocked me. The Democrats were
so obsessed and fixated on universal healthcare coverage that they did
nothing about the critical issues of national security, the national debt,
high unemployment, and rising taxes. They wanted to etch their names
into the history books, and showed complete disregard for what the ma-
jority of the American people wanted. Never have I seen so much oppo-
sition to a political venture. The President, the Speaker, and the Congress
have acted in a wreckless way that has put the nation in economic peril.
I am still in shock of what the Obama administration and the Congress
have done and the manner in which the legislation was jammed through
the process. I shake my head in utter disbelief.

But despite all these horrors, God still reigns!
Peace and blessings to you and yours,

No comments: