Sunday, January 10, 2010

Good Words from Proverbs

One biblical text that Mom did not underline was Proverbs 3:5-6. But
ever since I first took notice of it some time in the mid-1970s, it has al-
ways meant so much to me. It reads: Trust in the LORD with all your
heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways
acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths (ESV). I mem-
orized the passage way back then and it has been engraved onto my
heart ever since.

Through all these years these verses have been important to me, but
more so the last couple of weeks. There are times when I personalize
the verses so that I address the Lord: I trust You, O LORD, with all my
heart, and do not lean on my own understanding. In all my ways I ac-
knowledge You so that You will make straight my paths. I do confess
that there are many times when I don't trust or acknowledge God. By
meditating on this passage my heart starts to be re-aligned and put
back on course again.

There have even been a few precious times when I have heard in my
heart God addressing me, especially when I am feeling downcast about
the current situation: My dear Jeff, trust in me with all your heart, and
do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge
me; I will make straight your paths. That really blesses me and knocks
my socks off!

During the past month I have realized just how much I seek the glory of
my own name, the building up of my own kingdom, and the doing of my
own will. The Lord is hard at work corraling my wild and still unbroken
bronco heart. God has certainly gotten my attention and I can sense that
God's heart surgery is giving me new life in Jesus. I just wish it were a lot
easier than it has been!

Blessings to you and yours,

No comments: