Monday, January 04, 2010

From My Mother's Bible

The snow that first fell the week before Christmas is still frozen on the
ground, and new layers of fresh snow are being added every day. Weath-
er forecasters expect the arctic freeze to remain in Britain into next
week. It is the most snow and the coldest temperatures here in over 20
years. I have not experienced anything like this in the six years I have
been in Scotland.

Ken, the minister of Cupar Old Parish Church (the church where I
served as assistant minister for twelve months last year), is on holiday
from December 28 until January 8. I was asked to provide ministerial
cover for him while he is away. As a result I made a funeral visit last
week, visited a stroke victim in the regional hospital a few days ago,
and led an Epiphany-themed service at morning worship on Sunday.
I will conduct a funeral on Wednesday and visit another person in the
regional hospital who is not doing well. I have enjoyed having the op-
portunity to be active in pastoral ministry once again. I have missed it.

Now that Christmas and New Year festivities have passed, I am resum-
ing my search of church vacancies for a ministerial position. I have iden-
tified three churches (two in Glasgow and one way up north in Wick)
that interest me. I am the most interested in the one in Wick and will be
enquirying there first.

Perhaps because of the recent Christmas season just ended, the length
of daytime darkness here in winter, and the challenging process of dis-
cerning where God would have me minister, I often feel I am on the
verge of discouragement. It seems to me that I have been taken out
of action since 2003 and told to wait for further orders. I'm tired of
waiting. I have been eager to get into action. But I feel I am being put
on hold repeatedly. So, I spend a lot of time in the Psalms.

I use my mother's Bible to read through the Psalms once every month
or two. I take a special interest in the verses of Psalms she highlighted
or the notes that she placed in the margins. One that she highlighted
has become special to me in the last few weeks. I have memorized it
and constantly reflect on it, especially when I sense panic is starting to
rear its ugly head in my heart.

Psalm 27: 14 (RSV) reads: 'Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your
heart take courage; yea, wait for the Lord!' That verse has become so
significant to me in the last few weeks, especially in calming me down
and seeing my life from God's perspective rather than my own. My
heart is uplifted as that verse is translated from my memory into my
life.

As always, I welcome your prayers as you remember me.

Blessings to you and yours,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good Psalm to be thinking on. I am interested in the fact that you feel drawn to Wick. I became friends with a woman (girl at the time 1970) from Wick while I was studying in Spain. We promised to see each other within 10 years. Alas when I tried to make contact, her mother told me she had been killed in an auto accident. I was stricken. That is way up there so it will a long dark winter outside, but bright inside I hope. There is a pastorate for you, don't give up. Take care. Sara