Monday, December 01, 2008

'We're Glad You're Here, Laddie'

This is a short posting to let people know that I am doing
very well here in Cupar, Scotland. On Sunday, November
2nd, I was introduced to the people of the Old Parish Church
of Cupar as the probationer assistant minister for one year. I
have been busy with participating in worship services, observ-
ing four funerals, attending various committees, leading and
preaching at the latest Sunday evening service, and doing pas-
toral visitation in the homes of more elderly members. I have
felt welcomed and invited to share in the life and mission of
this lively congregation. I have quickly felt at home here and
have enjoyed being engaged in pastoral ministry again after
an absence of five years. Being involved in pastoral ministry
gives me the greatest joy. Recently I met with members of
the minister support group set up for me to review my first
few weeks at the church. I felt affirmed and supported. It
meant a lot to me when the convener, a retired but still very
active Church of Scotland minister, told me that after seeing
me in action the past few weeks he and other people were
glad that I had been assigned to Cupar Old. I'm glad to be
here, too.

Ever since June I have had considerable difficulty getting reg-
ular internet access. The situation has not been any better
here in Cupar. But I have recently figured out how to ad-
dress this problem. I hope to get more postings up.

Blessings, and all the best,

No comments: