Monday, March 10, 2008

Bowel Movements of Nursing New Borns

The other day I went downstairs to the Common Room to
eat my lunch. I encountered three of my fellow Divinity PhD
colleagues having a lively and intense discussion. I soon rea-
lized it was not about weighty matters of theology or bibli-
cal studies, but about the critically important issues of chil-
dren and parents. One of them was seriously concerned
that his breast-fed, three-weeks-old, first born daughter
had not 'pooped' for 24 hours after feeding. The mid-twen-
ty-something new father was worried that something was
terribly wrong, and was consulting with two fellow mid-
twenty-something colleagues who had both recently gone
through this whole process. With great interest I listened
as the experienced two asked him questions and offered
their advice. The next day he announced that a close
friend, a medical doctor in the US, had confirmed the ad-
vice the other two had given him.



It was exciting to see that there are certain things in life
that are more important than our academic pursuits ever
could be.


Blessings to you and yours,

No comments: