Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pluscarden Abbey: Entering into an Ancient Tradition

Pluscarden Abbey, a Benedictine Monastery in Morayshire, Scotland 
A little while ago I spent four refreshing and renewing days at Pluscarden Abbey, a medieval Ben-edictine monastery in Northeast Scotland. Only a short time before that I learned that the monastery was less than two hours away by car. I also read that male guests are welcome to stay in the guest wing of the abbey for times of personal retreat. So a few Sundays ago, after visiting some people and packing a small piece of luggage, I drove to Pluscarden Abbey. Four days later I drove back to St Fergus feeling refreshed and satisfied with my time there. 

The purpose of my going away to the Abbey was to spend time waiting upon the Lord for my next step in ministry at St Fergus Parish Church, the congregation that I pastor. I went because I wanted to be in a disciplined Christian community in which I could have a peaceful and quiet place to concentrate on my relationship with God. I was not there because I was tired, stressed out, or worn out. I was not there just for personal time. I was there to reflect intentionally on my first two years of ministry at St Fergus Parish Church. The result was that I had a wonderful time.   

The photo of the abbey above is the view that I saw as I approached it on foot that first day of my retreat. When I turned the bend and came onto the Abbey grounds I entered into the rich ancient traditions and heritage of Christian monasticism. I became part of a Christian community that is far greater than me. Being a Benedictine monastery, the community of monks there follow the Bene-dictine way of life.  The order is an ancient one founded by St Benedict in the sixth century after Christ. Benedictine monasteries spread rapidly throughout medieval Europe. 

The Benedictine order was part of Christian monasticism that is as old as Christianity itself. There have always been Christian men and women who have desired a life of prayer and contemplation. It began in Egypt and over time spread to Western Europe. There have been many different monastic orders over the centuries. In general monastic Christians committed themselves to witnessing to the eternal truths of God and practicing charity in human relationships. Monasticism has flourished as a protest against materialistic society and the resulting worldliness and social disharmony.

The Benedictine movement is one of the most prominent orders throughout Christian history. The women and men who commit themselves to the Benedictine order participate fully in the general monasticism described in the previous paragraph. They are particular from other monastics in that they commit themselves to following the Rule of St Benedict. The Rule is a specific guide in life and a lived way of expressing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Pluscarden Abbey is one of sixteen Benedictine houses in Britain. There are also eleven houses of Benedictine nuns. In 1988 there were 600 monks and 334 nuns in the Benedictine houses in Britain. There are currently 21 monks in Pluscarden Abbey.

Like their Benedictine brothers and sisters, the monks of Pluscarden Abbey see their primary service as prayer, regular observance of Roman Catholic holy rites, and living life in community. They withdraw from the world, yet commit themselves to praying for the world. According to Benedict's Rule, guests receive hospitality. Men and women are welcomed and received regardless of faith. There is a wing of the abbey set aside for male guests. There is a guest house not too far from the abbey for women. The Benedictines affirm that hospitality is a requirement of the Gospel. I was blessed by the hospitality of the monks of Pluscarden Abbey. I hope to write more about that in future postings.

Blessings to you and yours,  












No comments: