Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Two Years On and Counting at St Fergus Parish Church

St Fergus Parish Church in Scotland, where I have served as minister 
since 14 June 2012. 
On June 14, 2012, I was
inducted into ministry at
the Parish Church in St
Fergus, a wee village in
North-Eastern Scotland.
I have enjoyed being the
minister here the past
two years and have no
intention of leaving. I do
not desire to go to any
other place. This is now
my home.

The Doric Tongue con-
tines to be a challenge
to me. Fortunately my
next door neighbour,
Agnes, continues to
learn me the Doric. I
am grateful that she
also provides me with mince and tatties, fish cakes, and Scottish Broth once a week or so. Agnes
and her husband Jim take care of me and keep an eye out for me.

It is quiet and peaceful here in St Fergus. The population of the village has been just over 700, but there are new families flowing into it. From my front lawn, I can see four new housing starts being raised up. Every time I address the young students at the St Fergus Primary School, I have been surprised by their growing numbers. I have heard the enrolment  in past years was just over 70 or so, but now it is well over 100. I walk around the town, listening, observing, and talking to people. I enjoy having my home in the Village.

Everywhere I have moved to in my life, there I have experienced a honeymoon period. It was no different with being in St Fergus. The honeymoon lasted about a year or so. The newness and the sense of adventure has worn off. I have my routines and set patterns which take the romance out of being here. But still, I enjoy being here in St Fergus.

I seek every opportunity to be seen by the village people. The people, especially the session, of the church, are fond of me and take good care of me. We haven't had a major blowup yet, and I don't anticipate one is brewing. I keep repeating to them that I firmly believe I have been called to the church and that I have no desire to leave. St Fergus Parish Church is where the Lord has called me to be. Even though many of the people in the village don't come to church, I feel like I am well thought of and respected.

My attention remains fixed on the dear people who attend the church here. Things seemed a bit bleak here when I came to the church two years ago. I was concerned about the long-term effects religion and tradition would have on the life and mission of the congregation. I sought to proclaim the crucified and risen Jesus whenever I could. Over the past year I have sensed that the congregation has been growing both spiritually as well as in number. The growth may have been minimal, but at least it is growth. I sense that more people are finding it beneficial to them to be at St Fergus Parish Church on Sundays, but we have a long way to go.

My vision for the congregation is threefold: 1) that Sunday attendance continue to move up from the low twenties to the thirties; 2) that the core group of elders become connected to Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour; and 3) that the Lord would move on people, especially young families, to visit the church and decide to make it their home church, as several people and one family has done the past year.

I often pray in the sanctuary for the church. I do see things happening. I see changes occurring in people. God is on the move in St Fergus Parish Church. My desire is to see life break out here among the people of the congregation. Please remember us at St Fergus Parish Church in your prayers.

Blessings to you and yours,








No comments: