Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Rich Heritage of the General Assembly, 2014

          A view from the visitors gallery of the 2014 General Assembly  
of the Church of Scotland                               
Despite the last six months being one of the busiest periods of time I can remember, I took seri-
ously my responsibility to participate as a  commissioner to the 2014 General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The annual General Assembly has always taken place the third week in May, most of the time in the Assembly Hall on the Mound in Edinburgh, Scotland. When I first learned 
that I was a commissioner to this General Assembly, I saw it as a major interruption in my busy schedule that was focused on St Fergus Parish Church. It meant nine days away from where I 
really wanted to be. I even looked into asking that another minister from presbytery take my 
place. But I decided to go and take it seriously. 

I was one of roughly 850 commissioners who attended the 2014 General Assembly from May 17-23. Eight of us from the Presbytery of Buchan joined other ministers, elders, and church workers to attend to the business of the Church of Scotland. The first General Assembly took place in 1560 when what we now know as the Church of Scotland arose out of the turbulent times of the Scottish Reformation. There have been very few years when the General Assembly did not meet. I was greatly moved to consider I was joining a great deliberative body that had been meeting annually for over 450 years. There was a profound historical depth to the General Assembly. I was humbled by the privilege and responsibility of taking part in a great heritage.

Participating in the General Assembly is not the first time I have been overwhelmed and humbled by the rich heritage of a Scottish institution. I was just as overwhelmed and humbled when I was living and studying at the University in the town of St Andrews. The town was one of the top sites for Christian pilgrims in medieval times. The University was founded in 1413, the third oldest university in the English-speaking world. In the mid-16th century St Andrews was home to John Knox, the leader of the Scottish Reformation. This rich heritage oozed out of the stones and mortar and was heavy in the air of the town and university. I sensed it wherever I went in St Andrews. 

What I sensed in St Andrews I sensed in Edinburgh and the General Assembly. Edinburgh is a world class city, both in this day and age as well as in history. I had a profound sense of rich history as I stepped for the first time onto the floor of Assembly Hall the day before the start of the General Assembly. It is hard for me to describe, but during the week of the General Assembly I was drawn into a reality that combined the debate of issues of the modern era with the profound spiritual heritage of a community of saints stretching back to 1560 and John Knox. I was involved in something far bigger than me. I was in awe at times. I hope I can write more about my participation in the General Assembly in the days to come. 

Blessings to you and yours, 






No comments: