Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Speaking the Gospel in Public

I enjoy preaching and speaking in public. Of course there are the weekly Sunday mornings service at St Fergus Parish Church where I preach through the lectionary for the year. This is Year A and the readings for the Gospels are drawn from Matthew's Gospel. Following the lectionary keeps me on my toes and discourages me from preaching from those biblical texts that I fancy. Some of the lectionary texts have proven challenging to me. There have been times when I began my preparation for Sunday wondering how I would ever preach from the assigned text, but after a few days of studying it, the text blossomed in profound meaning that had never been evident to me before. I have been surprised by the LORD many times in my sermon preparation. It helps me grow.                                                   

Because St Fergus Parish Church does not have a Sunday evening service, I am available to speak at churches that have such a service. Last Sunday I spoke at the Deep Sea Fishermen's Mission in nearby Peterhead. It was my third time there in a year and a half. Since the Mission attracts people from a good number of churches in the area, the services there are scheduled after the evening services of other churches. I am always blown away by the singing of the fellowship there. The people love the Lord and are hungry to learn more about Jesus and the Scripture. I also have the privilege of preaching regularly at an United Free Church in a nearby village. I am out there ten times this year. Although they are a small congregation, I have fun being with them because they exhibit a lively faith. A Baptist church in a town down the road keeps asking me back. They are a mature congregation and hungry for preaching based on Scripture. I really enjoy being among them.

Since I have gotten back from Israel, I have not only spoken in the churches mentioned above, but I have also spoken at school assemblies in the village primary school and at two men's prayer breakfasts. Since October, I have been teaching a basic survey of the Bible on Friday nights at a sister church in Peterhead. I have my hands full this week: on Thursday I speak to the seniors group at the Baptist Church in Peterhead; on Friday I teach the Bible Survey course at our sister church; on Saturday I serve as the speaker and honorary chairman at the Peterhead Gospel Male Voice Choir concert that draws choirs from all over Scotland; on Sunday I lead morning worship and preach at St Fergus Parish Church; and on Sunday afternoon I crash and enjoy a long Sunday nap.

My speaking skills have been stretched since I first came to St Fergus Parish Church in June of 2012. Back then having two speaking engagements a week was a bit of a challenge for me. Since then I have learned how to graciously and gracefully prepare for speaking up to five times a week. I have been stretched to the point where I feel I can handle it and still enjoy speaking. But I have also realised how I have the tendency to focus my attention of what I do rather than on what God has done through the crucified and risen Jesus Christ. His death and resurrection are the heart of the Gospel. I catch myself building up my own identity and self worth through my speaking and preaching. That is wrong. I have to continually be reminded that my identity and worth come from Christ's death on the Cross for the forgiveness of sin and His resurrection from the grave. I constantly find myself seeking the glory of my own name, extending my own kingdom, and doing my will rather than God's when I am busy with preaching and speaking a lot. If you are able and so desire, please remember me in your prayers in this regard.

Blessings to you and yours,                   





No comments: