Monday, August 29, 2011

Class Reunion

I attended my R.A. Long High School Class of 1971 reunion August 12 and
13. There was a class picnic on the 14th, but preaching obligations that Sunday
kept me from attending. When I first received notification of the reunion late last
year, I anticipated that I would be in Scotland at the time of the get together. But
the visa refusal meant that I was here in the USA for the event and I was thrilled
that I was able to make it. I doubt if I would have come if I had to have travelled
all the way from Scotland to attend the reunion. I would have had the desire to
come, but not the finances to make it possible.

I must admit that I had to work up my courage to attend two previous reun-
ions; I never knew what to expect. But at the same time I wanted to see peo-
ple who were part of my life growing up. The latter always overcame the
former. I went to an informal get together on  Friday night. I went back and
forth about whether to go or not, but I am glad I went. After some initial feel-
ings of awkwardness, I plunged into the crowd and chatted with former class-
mates, several whom I had not seen since we graduated. I had some short chats
and a few talks that were long and deep. I actually enjoyed them all. I had two
significant conversations that night that I can only describe as divine appoint-
ments. I had not been particularly close to either person when we were high
school classmates, but both of them became dear to me as they shared deeply.
Unfortunately, I still had some sermon preparation to do, so I left still wanting
to see other people. Fortunately, there was still the main reunion event the next
day.

The next day, Saturday, I went through the same emotional process that I had
the day before: fear, anxiety, and then plunging in. This would be the third re-
union I attended, and the the third time I went through the process. I went,
took a deep breath, and started talking to people. As the night before, there
were short chats and a few deeper, more personal conversations. I couldn't be-
lieve how much some classmates had changed; yet there were a few I was able
to recognize immediately. Once I heard a last name, however, I was able to re-
connect with memories of our school years. But again, I bowed out after  a
few hours in order to finish my sermon preparation for the next day. I enjoyed
being at the reunion, but preaching is a higher priority for me.

Now for some general comments. I still find it hard to believe that we are 50-
somethings now. When we gather together again in five years, we will be 60-
somethings! That does not compute, but most of us look our age. I couldn't be-
lieve it! I still have fond memories of us in our high school days. I was sad-
dened by how many of my classmates whom I wanted to see did not show up.
We silently remembered the 26 out of a class of 285 or so who have passed
away. The first one drowned when we were 8th graders and the most recent
died just three weeks before the reunion.  I was thrilled by several classmates
whose lives had been transformed by Jesus Christ. The change in their lives
was simply amazing. I could see it in their eyes. The people I remember fond-
ly as teens are now, for the most part, well established, settled, and mature.
Most of them have kids in college or grandkids. Some had planned wisely for
retirement and are now taking advantage of it after thirty years of solid employ-
ment or service. I am quite impressed with the career and financial accomplish-
ments of some of my classmates.

As for me, well, I 've never been married and I don't have any children. Kissin'
cousins are all the family I have left. I don't have any financial or employment
security. I have been through the wringer the past eight years being prepared
for only God knows what. I don't have any desire to retire because I firmly be-
lieve that the best years and the most fruitful years of my life are still ahead of
me. I feel like I am just getting started. I feel like I did as a twenty-something,
when I was in my early adulthood, looking boldly into the future. I love the
Lord and am committed to serving him and his people; that is what is most im-
portant to me. I found it difficult to share that about myself at the reunion, per-
haps because  I spent my time listening to people who mean a lot to me. I hope
that at our reunion in five years I will be able to share that with others.

All for now. Blessings to you and yours,    

No comments: