Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Another Closed Door

On Monday aftenoon, yesterday, I got the news that a church I had ap-
plied to last week had just called a new minister. The candidate was in-
vited to preach last Sunday, and then was called by the congregation in
an election after the service. In the Church of Scotland, he or she -the
candidate- is referred to as the 'sole nominee.' If he or she is elected,
the candidate is said to be 'successful.' I really desire to be a success-
ful sole nominee, but all the doors I have tried have been closed to me.

Late in 2009, I sensed that the Lord was calling me to be willing to
serve in any linked parish with two or more congregations way up
north in Scotland. I had heard that churches were having difficulties
attracting ministers to come way up there to pastor churches. I identi-
fied five parishes with vacancies. One had been vacant for seven years
and another for ten years. I made contact with the five. I was not a
good match for two of them; one was not yet seeking a permanent min-
ister; and the other two had just called successful sole nominees. The
vacancy that had been vacant for ten years was one of the two that
had just called a minister. All the doors were closed up north.

So I started looking for vacancies elsewhere, and soon found myself
looking for vacancies in urban Glasgow. I was attracted to one partic-
ular church that expressed a love for Jesus, expected biblically-based
preaching, and was reaching out to the people around them. It was
the type of church that I wanted to serve. I went over to Glasgow to
visit the church and check things out. I was excited about the people
there and submitted my application last week. So it was a real downer
to receive the news that a sole nominee had been successful there last
Sunday. I was happy for them, but felt a bit disappointed.

But just last night I read about another church in Glasgow that might
be a good match for me. They, too, love Jesus, seek biblically-based
preaching, and are reaching out to the people around them. Plus there
are several other things about them that attract my attention. They
will be accepting applications until March 29, and then make a decision.

Ever since early January when I began to seriously look for pastoral
positions I have been learning a lot about God, about trusting God,
and about my own calling as a pastor. I am being reminded daily about
what it means to trust God. Friends here in the area have been encour-
aging me that there will be closed doors, but God has just the right place
for me. Those are good words. Meanwhile I am reminded that whether
I am in a pastoral position or waiting for a call, I am to trust and obey.

As always, I ask for your prayers.

Blessings to you and yours,

No comments: