Saturday, January 10, 2009

Back in the Pulpit Again

Well, I'm back in the pulpit again/oh, I'm back in the pulpit
again!

Until my arrival at Cupar Old Parish Church in November
I had not participated in leading congregational worship in
any way since August, 2003. Since coming here I've partici-
pated in Sunday services and preached four times. Because
the minister was on holiday just after Christmas, I planned
and led the entire January 4th service. It was also the first
time I preached back to back Sundays since 2003. I really
enjoyed preaching and leading the congregation in worship-
ping God.

In mid November-when I preached for the first time in five
years- I felt so out of shape. It took some time to craft the
message and my delivery was extremely rusty. Although
the feedback was charitable, I really lost my confidence. I
knew it was there, it just took a while to reappear. Last
Sunday was my fourth time preaching here and I sensed
that it was starting to come back to me. The last two times
I have started to feel my confidence and form returning. I
am scheduled to be preaching every two weeks, either at
the morning service or at the bi-weekly evening service.

I have missed being a pastor and preacher. Now I am soak-
ing it all up, as much as I can get. I had to put that on hold
for four years while I was at the University of St. Andrews.
Yet I firmly believe that God called me to be at the univer-
sity and to work on a thesis. And so, I am realizing that I
have an exciting time to do what I really feel called to do:
to be a pastor and to continue working on my thesis. For
me nothing could be better.

As always, I ask for your prayers on my behalf.

Blessings to you and yours,

2 comments:

Matt said...

hey Jeff, just discovered your blog. Greaet to catch up with where you're at. Hope your time in Cupar is rewarding - I will pray for you.

I'm back in Glasgow applying for different jobs. Considering the police.

Blessings to you.

Matt Ford

Liz said...

I secretly think David will wind up as a pastor. We were talking about it in church tonight. Freaks him out....LOL....