Saturday, January 27, 2007

My Tardy New Years Resolution

I do realize that I am a bit late in making my New Years resolution,
but I do want you to know that I have been thinking about it since
before the New Year. Last November I read a short devotional piece
about Hilda, an amazing woman who served as a leader and pastor in
the early English church of the sixth and seventh centuries. Hilda is
one of the more significant Christians from the past to whom I look
for wisdom and direction in the continual formation of my own pastor-
al leadership and service of the Kingdom of God. (I will share more
about her in a future posting.)

Ray Simpson, Guardian of the present day Community of St. Aidan
and St. Hilda, has frequently reflected on the life of Hilda. At the end
of one of his meditations on her ministry and service he offered a
prayer that touched the chords of my heart. It helps me to give shape
to some of the desires I have for 2007:

Wisdom on High,
help me to learn from the likes of Hilda:
to be reliable, to grow in prudence.
To study, work, and pray hard, but not too hard;
to treat every person with courtesy and none with contempt;
to maintain resolute faith, balanced judgment, and friendships.

That's a lot of what I hope for this year.

All the best in 2007.



No comments: